Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Camping!

In the car on the way to the campsite!


We spent this past weekend camping at the Brighton Recreation Area's Appleton Lake campground. We went with our neighbors and had a ton of fun. This was not Nathan's first camping trip, but his first "long" camping trip. He had done a couple overnight camping trips, but this one was a whole 3 nights.

Nathan really loved being outside most of the time. It was tricky trying to get him to sleep. Friday night he went to bed without much argument, he was really tired. Saturday and Sunday on the other hand, he knew he was missing out on fun by having to take a nap or go to bed. We bought a bike trailer just for this trip (bought it used for cheap and now we have one if we ever need it again). We went on a rather lengthy bike ride and he fell asleep in the trailer for a nap on Saturday. Saturday night I could not get him to sleep. I had to sit with him and rock him and sing to him or over an hour before he fell asleep. This was really out of character for him, even as a newborn he has always fallen asleep really well on his own. Sunday we gave up and just took him for a short drive for nap time and bed time.


Nathan in the tent

I think that Nathan's favorite part about camping was getting to go in a kayak. We took a walk to the lake and there was another family there with a kayak. We got to talking and they asked Jon if he wanted to take Nathan out in the kayak. Nathan loved it. Then they offered to let me take it for a spin. I was hesitant at first but I did give it a try. I did a quick go-around by myself to get comfortable with it then went back and got Nathan (who at that point was yelling "ma-ma, ma-ma"). He really loved being in the kayak. We may have to get one in a few years. He also had a blast with daddy swimming in the lake.


Of course Nathan decided this was a great weekend to cut another tooth. His poor little gums were stretched to their limit and finally on Monday, right after we got home it broke through. This was the first time he has ever just SCREAMED while cutting a tooth.

Nathan was a big helper when it came time to take the tent down. He put all the stakes in the bag and pulled out all the poles and handed them to daddy. He even helped fold the tent.




Unfortunately I am really bad at remembering to take pictures. I think I have more pictures of the raccoons than I do my own family. Here is my neighbor FEEDING a raccoon!

No comments: